Training and Development Officer
EMBL - European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Staff Category: Staff member
Contract Duration: 3 years
Grading: 5 or 6; depending on qualification and experience
Closing Date: 05 February 2017
Reference Number: HD_01031
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK) and Monterotondo (Italy).
At EMBL, members of personnel are encouraged to participate in the wide range of professional training in order to improve their professional profiles. That is why the General Training and Development Programme, which is embedded in Human Resources, offers scientists and non-scientists alike the opportunity to learn and develop transferable skills relevant to their work at and their career beyond, EMBL. Currently, Human Resources organises and runs close to 100 internal courses, trainings and workshops per year for approx. 650 participants.
Reporting to the Head of Human Resources the successful candidate is responsible for the development and implementation of the annual corporate Training and Professional Development Plan including sponsored studies. This in particular includes the following activities:
- Liaise with managers, teams and individuals to identify, develop and assess training and development needs to ensure most effective solution maximising the benefit to the individuals and the organisation;
- Close collaboration and coordination of all the activities with the international PhD, Postdoctoral and Undergraduate programmes provided by the EMBL International Centre for Advanced Training (EICAT);
- Work with external training providers in sourcing and securing appropriate development activities;
- Identify and procure trainings, considering commercial effectiveness;
- Ensure all training requests adhere to the Training and Professional Development policy, including the recording of comprehensive business cases, tracking of financial information;
- Liaise with other EMBL sites to ensure that there is consistency in the delivery of corporate events;
- Manage training and development records, providing management information statistics; including budget information, individual training records, evaluation;
- Keep a library of training providers and the delivery material used on events;
- To create quarterly, annual and ad-hoc reports on training activities;
- Capture information on the effectiveness of the EMBL training and development programmes, highlighting any key trends;
- Ensure all training and professional development events are evaluated and followed up.
Qualifications and Experience
This exciting and challenging opportunity will suit professionals who can demonstrate credibility, the ability to develop strong relationships and a track record of delivering in multicultural environments. S/he must have a University degree, and training in human resources management and/or several years of experience in a relevant field. Previous experience as Human Resources Professional is an advantage.
The appointed applicant should have a conscientious attitude, high numerical accuracy, the ability to prioritize tasks and work independently in his/her area of responsibility, yet seeking guidance when required. He/she should work well in a highly motivated team and be able to also deliver under pressure and tight schedules. He/she will possess strong interpersonal skills and high customer orientation to provide a state-of-the-art service to EMBL personnel at all levels. Problem solving, negotiations and excellent computer skills, knowledge of Microsoft Office, as well as fluency in oral and written English is are required. Good knowledge in French and/or German would be an asset.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.