EMBL - European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Staff Category: Staff Member
Contract Duration: 5 years (can be extended up to 9 years)
Grading: 4, 5 or 6; depending on experience and qualifications
Closing Date: 28 May 2017
Reference number: GR_00108
EMBL is Europe’s flagship research organisation for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation with more than 80 independent research groups covering the spectrum of molecular biology. EMBL is international, innovative and interdisciplinary – its 1600 employees of more than 80 nationalities, operate across five sites near Heidelberg, Hamburg, Grenoble, Rome and Cambridge. The EMBL Site in Grenoble employs 90 people and has a world-wide reputation for research and service activities in structural molecular biology.
Purpose and Objectives
Our EMBL Grenoble site is recruiting a Liaison Officer to join the administration team reporting to the Head of Administration. The tasks of the team cover inter-institutional contracts, grants management, finance (purchasing, inventory, and budget control), personal assistance support, Human Resources support, travel arrangements, meetings, and conference organisation.
Main responsibilities and tasks are:
- liaising with the EMBL PhD Program and the University Grenoble Alpes;
- liaising with the French authorities (e.g. Ministry of Foreign Affairs) and administrations;
- being in charge of the petty cash, purchase, checks and bank account;
- monitoring internal budgets and advising budget holders on the status of expenditure;
- providing secretarial support (minutes taking, travel/room/lab car booking etc.);
- in cooperation with the EMBL Human Resources in Heidelberg:
- being the contact person for newcomers/leavers and performing related administrative duties (e.g. supporting visa processes, registering new employees and supporting them with relocation, organising initial medical appointments for staff;
- recruitment posts and contract issues and renewals;
- matters on Social Security;
- record leave of absence and duty leave;
- organize medical appointments;
- issue site entry permits, renewals of site entry permits;
- organize language courses and further training activities.
- dealing with specific administrative projects and tasks as requested by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor in Business Administration or equivalent together with at least 3 years of relevant professional experience in an administrative area;
- Excellent communication skills in order to build and maintain good relationships and liaise effectively with both management and staff;
- Excellent negotiation skills;
- Excellent organizational skills, and solid team work experience;
- Self-initiative and the ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision;
- Courteous approach, reliability, tact and discretion;
- Excellent knowledge of and user proficiency in MS Office and Internet;
- Good knowledge of SAP or any other equivalent software tool would be desired;
- Fluency in English and French is essential, especially an excellent command of spoken and written French is required in order to deal effectively with local partners. A good command of German would be desirable but not essential;
- Although not essential, previous experience gained from working within a scientific environment would be an asset.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprise a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed up to a maximum of 9 years, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.