Director of EU Advocacy
WVI - World Vision International
World Vision’s team in Brussels is seeking a Director of EU Advocacy to lead advocacy with European Union institutions, influencing EU policies and practices that impact the rights and well-being of vulnerable children worldwide. This is an exciting opportunity to manage World Vision’s dynamic Brussels advocacy team, working closely with other Brussels based civil society organisations and with colleagues across the international World Vision Partnership. Applications are welcomed from experienced policy and advocacy professionals with a strong track record influencing international institutions, preferably with knowledge and experience of the EU and of child rights related policy. The successful candidate will be a proven people manager, a natural networker and compelling communicator.
Apply here by the closing date of 30 June 2017: https://careers.wvi.org/jobs/belgium/global-capitals/director-of-eu-advocacy/7643.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To lead World Vision’s advocacy with European Union institutions influencing EU policies and practices that impact the rights and well-being of vulnerable children worldwide. To manage World Vision’s Brussels advocacy team, building strong relationships, networks and credibility with EU and other Brussels based stakeholders and across the international World Vision Partnership.
EU External Engagement and Advocacy:
- Plan and oversee advocacy strategies, projects and activities to influence the policies and practices of EU institutions in line with WV strategic priorities;
- Build relationships and networks with key stakeholders in EU institutions and relevant Brussels-based civil society networks, coalitions and organisations;
- Represent WV at EU and CSO events, speaking on behalf of WV at public policy platforms, panels, conferences;
- Lead on overarching EU policies and processes and support team members in sectoral/thematic policy areas.
- Recruit, motivate, support and develop WV Brussels policy and advocacy staff;
- Oversee and support team plans, activities, performance and development;
- Contribute to overall WV EUREP strategic and team development of the Brussels office.
World Vision Partnership Relations:
- Coordination with WV EU member state offices, leveraging their policy expertise and EU MS influencing opportunities and convening European advocacy group meetings;
- Coordination with other WV ‘Global Capital’ offices (Geneva, New York, Addis Ababa) leveraging expertise & synergies between EU, UN and AU influencing opportunities;
- Contributing to, and drawing on, WV’s global advocacy team and community of practice for policy and campaign direction, content, expertise & analysis;
- Liaising with and drawing on WV’s external engagement and policy expertise in priority themes and sectors including: child participation and protection, health, livelihoods, humanitarian emergencies, faith and development, peace & conflict.
Planning, Project Management and Administration:
- Annual and six-monthly planning, monitoring and reporting;
- Oversight of advocacy team and project budgets and expenditure;
- Occasional development of, and support to, EU advocacy special projects for grant funding;
- Ensuring implementation of WV policies and procedures (HR, financial, IT and other) in the advocacy team;
- Contribute to WV’s EUREP management team on strategy, policy and day to day operations.
KNOWLEDGE,SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- At least 5 years experience in international development policy and advocacy work, preferably including child rights related policy;
- A track record of advocacy and influence with, or in, international institutions, preferably with knowledge and experience of the EU and its institutions;
- A proven, effective manager of people and teams;
- A natural networker, relationship builder and communicator;
- Masters Degree in International Development, public policy or a related field;
- To be a citizen of an EU member state or have a valid residence and work permit for Belgium;
- Fluency in English is essential; a good command of French would be desirable and/or knowledge of additional European languages will be an asset.
- Experience of working in humanitarian and/or development programmes and policy at field level is preferable;
- Experience of working in a complex, international organisation is preferable;
- Experience of public speaking and/or media communications would be an asset.
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel internationally up to 20% of the time.
World Vision is a Christian relief, development and advocacy organisation dedicated to working with children, families and communities worldwide to reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice. It works in close to 100 countries in most regions of the world including Africa, the Middle East, Europe, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean.
World Vision Brussels’ office represents World Vision members in 12 European countries, including 10 EU member states, as well as the wider international World Vision partnership.