Project and Membership Officer
ESN - European Social Network
Brighton, United Kingdom
ESN is the European network of senior professionals in public social services, for over 100 national, regional, and local public services organisations from 34 European countries. Supported by the European Commission under the EaSI programme, ESN promotes the development of effective social policy and social care practice through the exchange of knowledge and expertise.
We contribute to European policy-making in social, health and education policy and support our members to improve the quality of social services. You can read more about ESN at www.esn-eu.org.
The post will initially be based at ESN’s secretariat is based in Brighton, UK, but will be relocating to Brussels in 2018.
This post is key in supporting the policy team in the implementation of ESN’s policy, practice and research programme funded by the European Commission (EC), through organising a range of meetings, events and projects and promoting the development of a growing Europe-wide membership.
- Planning and organising seminars, workshops, working group meetings and other events. This includes sourcing venues, drafting budgets and monitoring expenditure, coordinating communications and being responsible for logistics;
- Promoting good working relationships with ESN members and other stakeholders;
- Developing new membership opportunities;
- Developing and maintaining effective administration and financial systems to ensure the correct, efficient and smooth delivery of ESN’s policy, practice and research annual work programme.
We are looking for someone who has:
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail;
- Project and event management experience with coordination, budget management, and reporting skills;
- Ability to multi-task and to manage a varied workload within deadlines;
- Interpersonal, team work and intercultural communication skills;
- Ability to build strong working relationships with members from all across Europe;
- University degree;
- Strong knowledge of Excel & other MS office applications;
- Willingness to travel;
- Problem-solving approach;
- Prior experience of working in a similar position for a European/international organisation from the public sector, private company or civil society;
- Ability to learn quickly with a ‘can do’ attitude;
- Excellent spoken and written English (ESN’s working language);
- Knowledge of another European language;
- An interest in European social affairs.
In the ESN secretariat, you would:
- Report to the Chief Executive about your overall performance and formal employment matters;
- Report to the Policy Director regarding the implementation of the EC programme;
- Work with the policy team on the implementation of project activities, events and meetings within a specific theme;
- Work with the communications team on data maintenance, activities, membership, communications and promotion.
Starting salary: £23-25,000 per annum with review after probationary period and annual increases.
The deadline for applications is Friday 7th July 2017 5pm UK time.
First stage skype interviews will be held on 13/14th July with final interviews in Brighton on 24th July.
You should submit a personal statement and a CV in a single PDF file not longer than 3 pages to email@example.com.
Equal Opportunities Statement
It is the policy of the European Social Network (ESN) to treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or trade union membership status or any other protected characteristic provided for under the Equality Act 2010 (UK).
Living in Brighton
The ESN Secretariat is based in central Brighton, a city with a large population of young professionals, a large European population and a vibrant cultural and music scene.
Its acclaimed arts festival is the biggest in England, an annual celebration of music, theatre, film, literature and debate.
Both the Brighton City Council and Sussex University are ESN members.
A small number of international charities and companies are based in the city, which is well-connected, being just an hour from London (with the Eurostar to Brussels and Paris) and 30 minutes from Gatwick airport. The ESN office is a 5 minute walk from the main railway station. Brighton is a good alternative to London with a relaxed pace of life, good restaurants and cafés and a more affordable housing sector.
The job will be initially based at our office in Brighton and later in Brussels so you must consider whether you are in a position to move to both locations before applying.