Representative to the International Criminal Court
FIDH - International Federation for Human Rights
The Hague, Netherlands
Position: Long term contract, full time
Deadline for application: 9 September 2017
Starting date: October 2017
The International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) is an international non-governmental organisation (NGO) composed of 184 national human rights organisations from close to 120 countries. Since 1922, FIDH has been defending all human rights – civil, political, economic, social and cultural – as set out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
One of FIDH priorities is to promote the administration of justice and to fight impunity of perpetrators of serious human rights violations, including crimes of international law.
FIDH's headquarters are in Paris. Stichting FIDH in The Hague is FIDH's permanent delegation to the International Criminal Court (ICC).
Under the responsibility of the Chief Executive Officer and under the supervision of the Director of the International Justice Desk and the Director of the Operations Department, you will be responsible of the following tasks:
A - Contribution to the elaboration of the International Justice Desk strategy, in coordination with the Director of the International Justice Desk, the Director of Operations Department, the Executive Directorate and the concerned International Board representatives:
- Participate in the drafting of the FIDH multi-year strategic plan concerning the International Criminal Court;
- Contribute to the annual programming of activities on the ICC and international justice and their implementation;
- Contribute to the drafting of specific action plans and programmes for donors and follow closely their implementation concerning the ICC;
- Contribute to the communication strategy of the International Justice Desk in coordination with the Media, Web and Communication Desks.
B - Implementation of the International Justice Desk's activities on the International Criminal Court:
1) Supervise, implement/participate in:
- Investigative, training, or advocacy missions as well as seminars on the ICC and international justice;
- Advocacy and training activities in The Hague («interface»), in support of national NGOs and victims' organisations, on the ICC;
- Drafting and reviewing communications to submit to the ICC Office of the Prosecutor;
- Drafting FIDH position papers and leading advocacy activities towards the ICC and States Parties;
- Coordination and close participation in the work and activities of the Coalition for the International Criminal Court (CICC) and other NGO fora;
- Elaboration, translation and dissemination of FIDH external publications (i.e. mission reports, position papers, activities reports) and internal documents concerning the International Justice Desk activities;
- Increasing the visibility of the Desk's activities and results.
2) Ensure FIDH representation with donors, States representatives, media and other NGOs. Develop partnerships with these spokespersons;
3) Elaborate and follow-up on the budget of the ICC related programmes of the International Justice Desk.
C – Reporting and evaluation of the International Justice Desk activities:
- Participate in the reporting and evaluation of the International Justice Desk’s activities;
- Elaborate narrative reports for donors;
- Participate in the drafting of the FIDH annual report concerning international justice and in particular the ICC.
D – Implement logistical and administrative tasks linked to the activities of FIDH The Hague Permanent Representatione:
- Ensure the implementation of logistics linked to the activities in The Hague;
- Implement day-to-day administrative tasks of the FIDH The Hague office;
- Supervise a team composed of an assistant, and intern.
- At least 6 years of professional experience in a similar position;
- Master's Degree in Law, with specialisation in international criminal or human rights or humanitarian law;
- Experience working on issues related to victims’ rights at the ICC and sexual and gender-based violence;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and good knowledge of French and/or Spanish is required;
- Very good knowledge of the International Criminal Court;
- Skilled at prioritising and completing multiple tasks with autonomy;
- Ability to travel internationally;
- Ability to interact with NGOs, government officials and intergovernmental organisations from around the world with tact, diplomacy and cultural sensitivity;
- Experience working closely with NGOs and victims' organisations around the world would be an asset.
Contract: Long term contract, governed by Dutch law, with a two months trial period, Full time position
Gross salary: from 3800 EUR per month (12 months), based on experience. Recruitment at a lower level based on a modified position profile may be considered
Participation in the financing of the health insurance.
In order to apply for this position, please send, in English, by 9 September 2017:
- A curriculum vitae;
- A cover letter describing why you are interested in FIDH and summarising your suitability for the position, indicating the job reference number;
- Names and contact details of three referees.
by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.