Europe Executive Director
London, Brussels, Paris or Berlin
ONE is a global campaign and advocacy organization co-founded by Bono and backed by over eight million people from around the world and every walk of life that are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We hold world leaders to account for the promises made to the poorest, and we press them to support better policies and more effective aid and trade reform. We also work with leaders in Africa to support greater democracy, accountability and transparency so these resources can be effectively deployed. ONE has offices in Berlin, Brussels, Johannesburg, London, New York City, Paris and Washington DC.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Europe Executive Director is responsible for the overall strategic development and management of ONE’s activities in Europe, will lead the Europe Advocacy teams based in London, Brussels, Berlin and Paris, and collaborate with senior colleagues globally to set the agenda for ONE’s advocacy work in these markets. The Europe Executive Director is a member of ONE’s executive team and will be able to demonstrate strategic and creative leadership across the organisation. This position can be based in London, Brussels, Paris or Berlin (with frequent international travel) and reports directly to the CEO. If based outside London, a significant amount of travel (at least 70%) to London will be required.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Lead on the development, implementation and evaluation of ONE’s Europe Advocacy strategy, coordinating desired policy and advocacy outcomes across our key EU markets;
- Manage, engage and motivate a team of 50 staff across Europe (including 4 Country Directors and functional leads) to ensure optimal functioning of the EU Advocacy team and to engrain systems of accountability and transparency in day-to-day operations;
- Spearhead efforts to develop and sustain high level, positive and productive relationships with key government officials, academics, the media, NGOs and other relevant sectors across our key markets and fostering the development of champions and other influencers on pertinent issues from a range of communities and industries;
- Develop and manage annual budgets for the Europe Advocacy teams, working with relevant budget leads and the Chief Operating Officer and the Director of Finance & Budgets based in Washington DC;
- Collaborate with the Executive Director – Global Policy, the Executive Director –Global Strategy and Country Directors to establish a portfolio of relevant policy research and positions to support Europe Advocacy objectives;
- Represent ONE externally to key stakeholders, advocacy targets and media across Europe;
- Other duties as appropriate for the role.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- 5-10 years of relevant experience, within government, academia, development or the business sector, with at least 3 years managing high performing teams;
- A proven leader and motivator of senior managers and staff, with a demonstrable commitment to best business practice and a clear track record in working within and developing strong, diverse teams of people with multiple perspectives and talents;
- Significant experience in operational and fiscal management, in particular overseeing the development and evaluation of high level strategic plans and accounting for large budgets across multiple sites;
- Excellent negotiation and collaboration skills and significant experience of risk and reputation management;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to confidently debate our issues across multiple platforms and to a diverse set of stakeholders and critics;
- A demonstrable understanding of ONE’s core policy areas and the interface between campaigns, media, advocacy and policy;
- A clear and demonstrable appreciation of ONE’s non-partisan approach;
- Proven experience of cultivating external relationships across development, NGO, government, academia, media, business and the cultural sectors at the very highest levels;
- A demonstrable appreciation and understanding of Africa;
- Substantial experience within the non-profit sector and/or government sectors is desirable;
- Experience with grant makers and other funders is also strongly preferred, as is an understanding of rules around ethics and lobbying;
- Experience of working in a global setting;
- Ability to work within a fast-paced environment, to be flexible, resourceful and innovative;
- Patience and a sense of humour.
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, please submit a resume and cover letter to our jobs page by September 15th, 2017. Candidates that do not submit cover letters may not be considered. We thank all candidates for their interest but we can only contact candidates selected for interview. Please no phone calls.
Only candidates that are eligible to work in the EU without restriction need apply.