JHA Business Support Assistant, (BEL468)
UKREP - United Kingdom Permanent Representation to the European Union
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Subcategory: UKREP (UK Representation to the EU)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Justice and Home Affairs Section at the UK Representation to the EU (UKREP) in Brussels is seeking a Business Support Assistant to provide administrative and policy support to the section. The dedicated, motivated and friendly team deals with high-profile and sensitive issues in the fields of judicial cooperation (civil, family and criminal law), immigration, asylum and counter‑terrorism including data protection and human rights. While focusing on administrative responsibilities, this role will provide an opportunity to develop an understanding of UK and EU Justice and Home Affairs policy in general, as well as more in-depth exposure to particular issues.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Administrative support: to proactively provide effective business support to the UKREP Justice and Home Affairs section;
- Preparation of documents and logistics for JHA Councils, working groups and bilateral meetings;
- Booking travel and meetings;
- Overseeing section expenses and budgets;
- Handling IT support requests;
- Management of office supplies;
- Organise high-level visits for Senior Officials;
- Inputting into the continuous improvement of the JHA business support;
- Policy Support to the UKREP Justice and Home Affairs section including throug: covering for desk officers where needed, including at the European Parliament and Council of the EU and also providing timely and accurate reporting to London (particularly the Home Office, Ministry of Justice and Foreign and Commonwealth Office) and embassies worldwide.
Essential qualifications and experience
- Strong organisational skills and skills for delivering results;
- An open and flexible approach, drawing on the skills and experience of others to improve results;
- Enjoy working in a team;
- Confident in using Microsoft Office IT skills.
Desirable qualifications and experience
- Relevant educational and professional experience;
- Good level of French (Written and spoken).
- Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace.
Application deadline: 22 September 2017
Grade: A1 (L)
Type of Position: Full-time, Permanent
Working hours per week: 36.25
Region: Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Location (City): UK Permanent Representation to the European Union, Brussels
Type of Post: Political Office
Number of vacancies: 1
Starting monthly salary (EUR): 2,504.94 gross
Start Date: 23 October 2017
Other benefits and conditions of employment
We are offering a permanent full-time contract for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week.
The monthly gross salary for this position is € 2,504.94 A1 (L) level (The British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium salaries are not subject to annual indexation).
Please note that Belgian nationals will be paid their salary gross and are expected to comply with their tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Belgian authorities. Non-Belgian nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Belgian tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process.
The successful candidates will be subject to professional background checks and security clearance.
Staff recruited locally by the British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Belgian employment law.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered. Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.