Manager for the Formacare Sector Group
CEFIC - European Chemical Industry Council
Cefic, the European Chemical Industry Council, is both the forum and voice of the European chemical industry. It aims to maintain and develop a prosperous chemical industry in Europe by promoting the best possible economic, social and environmental conditions to bring benefits to society.
The chemical industry is a € 500+ billion industry, providing over 1 million direct jobs and nearly 2.5 million indirect jobs in Europe. The chemical industry is the “Industry of Things”. The industry's products are essential to 95% of everything manufactured: hygiene, health, mobility, construction, computers and electronics all rely on the chemical industry. The sector is also critical to meeting future needs, such as developing energy sources or managing scarce resources. The chemical industry is essential for achieving the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Cefic is located in Brussels to represent the industry vis-à-vis EU institutions and involve member federations and companies in European advocacy. We employ more than 150 people.
For its Specialty Chemicals team and one of its major Sector Groups, Cefic is looking for a (m/f): Manager for the Formacare Sector Group.
Mission of the role:
In charge of the management of the European producers of formaldehyde, aminoplast resins and polyols (Formacare), the right candidate will act as a spokesperson, advocate and official representative of the industry in official and professional bodies in order to position, communicate and safeguard its interests at all times.
Are you inspired by these responsibilities?
- Promote the positive image of the formaldehyde, aminoplast resins and polyols throughout the Value Chain and in the media;
- Be a source of specialist advice and information about the sector;
- Have regular contacts with the EU and Member State authorities;
- Identify existing and emerging issues that could affect the sector group;
- Develop, agree and implement with the member companies a strategy to deal with these issues (regulatory, scientific or other);
- Translate the approved strategy into objectives, plans and budgets for Formacare’s common interest working groups;
- Smooth out any potential differences of opinion between the members in the best interest of the industry overall strategy;
- Manage all consultants (scientific, communications and public affairs) working for Formacare and ensure they work in synergy with each other in order to reach their objectives and deliverables;
- Constantly maintain contacts with potential new members and other professional associations in order to broaden the membership base or to set up alliances that will increase the impact of Formacare’s advocacy in the short and long term;
- Manage existing and future working groups within Formacare;
- Liaise with value chain associations where appropriate.
Can you make the difference?
The successful candidate will be a highly experienced professional who demonstrates the following experience and competencies:
- Academic background: preferably MA or MSc in Communications, Political Science and/or European Studies;
- At least 5 years’ experience working at international level on scientific issue management, preferably in the chemical industry;
- Strong advocacy skills and experience with EU regulatory framework;
- Full professional proficiency in English and at least one other European language; additional languages are a definite asset;
- Motivation to travel regularly (about 30%).
Required personal qualities:
- Strong communication skills: ability to speak clearly and concisely in front of a group; ability to deliver well-organized, enthusiastic and convincing presentations and ability to adapt style and language to audience;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to negotiate and solve conflicts;
- Curious mind and eagerness to learn and grow within the Specialty Chemicals cluster.
Are you interested?
Please send your application with full curriculum vitae before October 31st 2017 to Jessica Bart-Williams, HR Assistant, Cefic, Avenue E. Van Nieuwenhuyse 4, B-1160 Brussels. E-mail address: email@example.com.