Scientific Project and Communications Manager
EMBL - European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Staff Category: Staff Member
Contract Duration: 3 years
Grading: 6, 7 or 8; depending on qualification and experience
Closing Date: 17 September 2017
Reference Number: HD_01164
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK), Rome (Italy) and Barcelona (Spain).
The Steinmetz lab in the Genome Biology Unit at European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) Heidelberg is seeking a highly motivated, dynamic individual to develop and coordinate projects, strategic initiatives, grant writing, and scientific communication within and between two of the leading scientific research organizations worldwide: Stanford University and EMBL. The Steinmetz lab is associated with both institutions and operates in an integrated manner across sites in Heidelberg, Germany, and at Stanford University in the US. The lab focuses on developing and applying interdisciplinary, genome-wide technologies to study genome regulation, the genetic basis of complex phenotypes and the genetic and molecular systems underpinning disease. The successful candidate will play an integral role in establishing the growing Life Science Alliance, a formal partnership between Stanford University and EMBL.
- Developing and coordinating strategic initiatives, collaborations and international partnerships;
- Strategic planning and scientific project management, including setting and monitoring of milestones with the lab head, staff mentoring, budget tracking and reporting;
- Developing and managing joint initiatives between EMBL and Stanford University;
- Leading project management and communications for the Life Science Alliance;
- Securing seed funding for the Life Science Alliance from public and/or private sources;
- Preparing documents, grant applications, manuscripts and presentations;
- Administration and management of grant applications with internal and external partners;
- Assistance in identifying, obtaining, and coordinating new sources of funding;
- Assistance in planning, writing, and revising manuscripts for publication;
- Promotion of the lab’s research via websites, media relations, external seminars;
- Following research developments in fields of the lab and networking with other scientists;
- Additional scientific and administrative tasks as required in support of the above.
Qualifications and Experience
A Ph.D. in biological sciences is required, and research experience in fields of the lab including functional genomics, transcriptomics, systems genetics or computational biology is desired. Experience in scientific writing is essential and experience in grant writing, project management and working in an international environment and the field of communications is an asset.
The ideal candidate demonstrates exceptional writing and communication skills in addition to advanced analytical skills, and a demonstrated ability to infer key messages from complex observations. (S)he will have outstanding written and oral English skills and be capable of communicating complex scientific concepts to diverse audiences. The successful candidate will have strong organizational skills, self-motivation and be able to work independently. An international mindset, creativity, adaptability, ability to work effectively in a team environment, and ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment are also essential. The role will likely involve international travel.
At EMBL, the lab is located in the Genome Biology Unit: http://steinmetzlab.embl.de/.
At Stanford, the lab is located in the Genetics Department and at the Stanford Genome Technology Center: http://steinmetzlab.stanford.edu/.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs.
An initial contract of 3 years will be offered to the successful candidate. This can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of review.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprise a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family.