Fundraising and Research Partnership Manager - Europe
CGD - Center for Global Development
London, United Kingdom
CGD Europe (CGDE), is seeking an experienced, committed and motivated person to manage our fundraising and develop new and existing partnerships. This is a full-time role, working directly with the Vice President for Development, the CGDE Director, the CGDE team and fundraising colleagues based in Washington, D.C.
About the Role
CGDE seeks an experienced Fundraising and Partnership Manager to work alongside the CGDE Director, the team based in London and in Europe, and the wider Institutional Advancement team based in Washington, D.C. This position is at the officer-level to lead and manage our portfolio of fundraising activities with the Institutional Advancement team. S/he will be expected to lead CGDE in increasing and diversifying its sources of funding over the next 2 years and help improve the sustainability of the organisation by supporting the Europe team in proactively securing funds from new and existing revenue streams.
Duties and Responsibilities
Collaborate in the development and implementation of an effective fundraising strategy for CGD as a whole, and serve as point person on European donor relations and reporting.
- Work with the Vice President for Development, management and colleagues to develop and implement an effective fundraising strategy for CGD in and across Europe; agree on fundraising targets to work towards;
- Work with relevant researchers and the Institutional Advancement team in Washington, D.C. to draft proposals and concept notes for prospective funders;
- Help identify and cultivate prospective funders interested in CGD and CGDE’s work streams;
- Regularly meet with CGD/E staff to stay up to date on upcoming work streams; implement procedures to identify new sources of funding in collaboration with researchers;
- Organise meetings and high-level events and manage communications with The European Advisory Group*.
Identify, research and facilitate opportunities to network with donors and prospects and engage the Vice President for Development, Director of Europe, Senior Fellow(s) and Board as appropriate to make the most of those opportunities.
- Develop and maintain existing relationships. Stay current on funder interests;
- Attend meetings with donors and prospects along with the Director for Europe and other staff. Initiate follow-up as appropriate;
- Maintain and coordinate consistent quality communications with donors and prospects in coordination with the Director for Europe, other staff and the Board;
- Produce materials and tools to communicate regularly with donors and prospects;
- Establish and maintain robust procedures to ensure CGDE meets its formal reporting commitments using Salesforce, consistent with CGD work as a whole. Ensure the Director for Europe and other staff are aware of donor commitments, and comply with them;
- Stay on top of all CGDE donor reporting requirements and solicit information from relevant researchers in a timely manner; assist in drafting when possible. Responsible for editing and tracking through finalisation of all CGDE donor reports.
Act as primary liaison between the fundraising team in Washington, D.C. and the CGDE team as a whole:
- Ensure that bids and communications are well-coordinated across CGD;
- Continuously maintain and improve the effectiveness of existing fundraising operations;
- Attend fundraising team meetings via Video Conference; ensure the CGDE team as a whole is kept up to date;
- Organise and participate in meetings with CGDE research staff; keep on top of thematic work streams as they develop;
- Ensure up-to date and accurate records are kept of donations, and are easily accessible;
- Maintain and update fundraising contact details in Salesforce, CGD’s CRM system.
Represent fundraising at events; initiate and engage in discussions with donors and prospects.
- Provide fundraising input and oversight in the planning and implementation of events. Ensure the right people are invited to these events, with insight from fellows as appropriate; grow the list of prospective invitees;
- Identify opportunities for CGDE to host fundraising events, utilise CGD’s Salesforce system for tracking and managing these; organise and implement in collaboration with the Office Executive/ Events Management.
- To build and maintain effective relationships across the organisation;
- To represent CGDE positively at all times, reflecting our organisational approach and values;
- Help promote uniformity and consistency of the CGDE brand;
- Positively contribute to the team and the effective running of the charity;
- Other duties as assigned.
It’s an exciting time to join CGD Europe and to hit the ground running you will have solid fundraising experience in delivering income to target. Not only will you have a proven track record in successful income growth but demonstrable evidence of embedding a proactive fundraising culture and developing key relationships yourself. You’ll have the skills to develop meaningful relationships with not only donor representatives but with high level individuals.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Proven fundraising experience, ideally in the area of policy, think tanks or academic research. Familiarity with global development issues is also relevant;
- Familiarity with European funders/organisations;
- Ability to maintain strong working relationships with key donors;
- Focused to achieve and deliver on objectives/targets;
- Superior writing skills;
- High level communication skills – particularly in pitch, negotiation, and persuasion;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Ability to plan, balance and cope with competing priorities;
- Proficient in financial and supporter data analysis;
- Strong team working orientation, with the ability and social skills to work collaboratively;
- Flexible and adaptable approach to work demands across the whole organisation;
- Proficiency in using a CRM system; Salesforce experience is desirable;
- Fluency in a second language is also desirable;
- Right to live and work in the UK.
How to Apply
Closing date: applications should arrive by Monday 11th September.
CGD Europe offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. CGD Europe is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
*The European Advisory Group consists of UK and international high-profile policy makers, academics and thought leaders on international development who advise the Director for Europe and staff of CGD Europe, provide inspiration and challenge to its ideas, identify future priorities, boost CGD Europe’s profile, expand the reach of its work, and help connect CGD to potential funders. It was set up in 2016, with the first meeting taking place in October 2016. There are currently eleven members.