EUMETSAT - European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites
EUMETSAT is Europe’s meteorological satellite agency - monitoring the weather and climate from space - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This information is supplied to the National Meteorological Services of the organisation's Member in Europe, as well as other users worldwide.
EUMETSAT also operates several Copernicus missions on behalf of the European Union and provide data services to the Copernicus marine and atmospheric services and their users. As an intergovernmental European Organisation, EUMETSAT has 30 Member states.
Within the Legal Affairs Division (LAD) of the Administration Department and reporting directly to the Head of the Division, the Legal Officer will provide legal advice and participate in the drafting and negotiation of legal arrangements with international partners of EUMETSAT as described below.
- Provide legal advice on international civil service law, human resources matters and on institutional law;
- Manage complaints and appeals proceedings before the EUMETSAT Appeals Board and other judicial institutions;
- Coordinate with the external civil service law advisor the submissions on behalf of the Organisation in the context of judicial and other proceedings;
- Participate in internal enquiries into allegations of wrongdoing and prepare relevant reports;
- Provide legal advice on data protection, primarily in the area of Human Resources;
- Support the Data Protection Officer in the fulfilment of the DPO’s mandate;
- Coordinate relevant external legal studies;
- Draft and amend EUMETSAT legal documents;
- Deliver legal advice on all areas of EUMETSAT activities;
- Participate in the drafting and support the negotiations of agreements with international partners;
- Represent EUMETSAT and attend committees and bodies relevant to the above duties, including meetings of the Coordinated Organisations;
- Prepare and present documents on legal matters for EUMETSAT Delegate Bodies.
What we offer
- Generous salary, of up to Euro 7,500/month NET (after income tax) based on skills and experience;
- Flexible working time including additional flexi-leave;
- Excellent medical coverage for employee and family;
- Attractive pension;
- 30 days of annual leave + 14.5 days public holidays;
- Training and development support;
- Relocation allowance and support (if applicable).
Skills and Experience:
- Proven extensive experience in the area of international civil service law, data protection and the law of International Organisations;
- At least 5 years of experience of working in a legal function in an international organisation;
- Excellent legal drafting skills, ability to draft legal opinions and documentation;
- Strong resilience, flexibility, diplomacy, and the ability to prioritise a heavy workload;
- Strong interpersonal and team-working skills and the ability to communicate with many different organisational interfaces;
- Experience in using information technology and office software systems is required.
- Advanced university degree in law, preferably with a qualification or specialisation in labour law, European or Public International Law.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN ENGLISH. WE WILL BE UNABLE TO CONSIDER APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED IN OTHER LANGUAGES.
EUMETSAT is an international organisation employing staff from across all 30 member states and this role is being advertised on multiple international job boards, but please note that this role would be based in Darmstadt, Germany and would require international applicants to relocate if successful. Teleworking will not be possible.
More about us
EUMETSAT’s role is to establish and operate meteorological satellites to monitor the weather and climate from space - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This information is supplied to the National Meteorological Services of the organisation's Member and Cooperating States in Europe, as well as other users worldwide.
EUMETSAT also operates several Copernicus missions on behalf of the European Union and provide data services to the Copernicus marine and atmospheric services and their users.
As an intergovernmental European Organisation, EUMETSAT can recruit nationals only from the 30 Member States (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom).
Don't forget to mention EuroBrussels when applying.