ELIXIR Technical Project Assistant
EMBL-EBI - European Bioinformatics Institute
Hinxton, United Kingdom
Organisation data: ELIXIR Project Management Unit
Job Number: EX00054
Contract Type: Staff Member
Schedule Type: Full Time
Job Function: Administrative Officer (gr. 4-6)
Advertised Grade-Grading: Grade 4 - monthly salary starting at £2.866,71 (tax free) + benefits
Contract Duration-Length of Time (years/months): 3 years
Closing date: 12 October 2023
About the team/job
Due to growth and successful new grant applications, we have an opportunity for a Technical Project Officer, (preferably with experience in European Commission (EC)/Innovative Health Initiative (IHI) projects), to join the dynamic and international team at the ELIXIR Hub in Hinxton, UK.
The main purpose of this role is to increase the capacity of the ELIXIR Project Management Office (PMO) to fulfil the needs of our growing and successful portfolio of externally funded projects (Horizon 2020, Horizon Europe, EU4Health and Digital Europe). In the last eight years, ELIXIR has submitted 10 grants applications with ELIXIR Hub as the project coordinator, with 100% of the applications being funded. The ELIXIR Hub has been included as a project beneficiary in a further 30 grant applications during that same period with an 80% funding rate.
As a Technical Project Officer you will provide support to the team of Project Managers in the ongoing management and reporting of awarded grants, including ELIXIR-STEERS (2024-2027, €4M) and EOSC-ENTRUST (2024-2027, €5M) (among other grants), and will support pre-award activities including the preparation of competitive proposals for strategic ELIXIR projects.
In this varied role your main responsibilities will be:
- Contribution to the implementation of the ELIXIR long term strategy, particularly those parts that affect the grants;
- Providing support to senior PMO colleagues to ensure project(s) they manage are executed according to the applicable funding rules and processes, and that project goals and impacts are attained;
- Communicating with other ELIXIR Hub teams to gather and maintain administrative information required for continuous project monitoring and reporting;
- As required, working closely with the EMBL-EBI Grants Office in the process of submitting, negotiating and managing awarded grants;
- Supporting senior PMO colleagues to ensure that project deadlines, targets and objectives are successfully achieved by providing support, proactive management and guidance to the project(s) Managing Board, Work Package Leaders, beneficiaries and participants;
- Supporting senior PMO colleagues with the effective day-to-day management of project risks and opportunities including project performance indicators, issues log, change management log and risk register;
- Supporting senior PMO colleagues to drive the planning and budget processes, assembling and analysing metrics and outcomes, ensuring that all reporting requirements are meet and that allocated resources are fully utilised;
- Supporting senior PMO colleagues to effectively manage changes in the large consortium, including in terms of project partners, tasking and resources;
- Organising scheduling, organisation and delivery of physical and virtual meetings;
- Supporting the development and submission of future grant proposals;
- Contributing to the management and delivery of other/additional ELIXIR Hub projects and work-packages;
- Represent ELIXIR, as appropriate, in interactions with internal and external stakeholders such as the European Commission, IHI and projects consortium members.
In order to provide effective support, you will need to stay abreast of the development of ELIXIR as well as related organisations and initiatives and may from time to time have to attend meetings outside normal working hours and undertake international travel.
- While not mandatory, the ideal candidate will have a University degree in life-science, computer science, engineering or another quantitative discipline with experience of working in a high-paced professional/academic research environment;
- Project management experience, with proven ability to effectively interact with multiple stakeholders to deliver results;
- Experience and understanding of research infrastructure environments is a strong asset;
- Experience in supporting and preparing grant applications and multi-party collaborations would be advantageous;
- A high level of literacy is required with documented ability to effectively communicate with excellent verbal and written English. Working knowledge to a professional level of additional European languages is a strong asset for the role;
- Solid knowledge of Google Suite (Shared Drives, Sheets, Docs, Slides) and MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) is required.
You might also have
- Active certification in Project Management e.g. PMP, PM2;
- Experience in project management at all phases of EC (H2020/Horizon Europe/Digital Europe) or IMI/IHI grants;
- Experience in Project Management in industrial, academic or research setting;
- Understanding of project management processes.
Why join us
Do something meaningful
ELIXIR unites Europe's leading life science organisations in managing and safeguarding the increasing volume of data being generated by publicly funded research. It coordinates, integrates and sustains bioinformatics resources across its member states and enables users in academia and industry to access services that are vital for their research.
The ELIXIR Hub has a strong organisational culture which is defined by our core values. To ensure a good fit with our team, we look to recruit candidates who share our five values:
- We work to benefit everyone;
- We are trusted;
- We work with a spirit of openness;
- We strive for excellence;
- We work in an environment of respect.
Enjoy lots of benefits
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances;
- Flexible working arrangements;
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover);
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays;
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required);
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely);
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances;
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3 year contract;
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants;
- Diversity and inclusion: At ELIXIR, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities;
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, near Cambridge, UK. You will be required to relocate if you are based overseas and you will receive a generous relocation package to support you;
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date: 12/10/2023.
Don't forget to mention EuroBrussels when applying.