ELIXIR Project Manager
EMBL-EBI - European Bioinformatics Institute
Hinxton, United Kingdom
Organisation data: ELIXIR Project Management Unit
Job Number: EX00053
Contract Type: Staff Member
Schedule Type: Full Time
Contract Duration-Length of Time (years/months): 3 years
Advertised Grade-Grading: Grade 5 (monthly salary from £3090.08 after tax, plus benefits)
Closing Date: 18 October 2023
About the team/job
ELIXIR is seeking two Project Managers, preferably with experience in European Commission (EC)/Innovative Health Initiative (IHI) projects, to join the dynamic and international team at the ELIXIR Hub in Hinxton, UK.
The main purpose of these roles is to increase the ELIXIR Project Management Office (PMO) capacity to fulfil the needs of our growing and successful portfolio of externally funded projects (Horizon 2020, Horizon Europe, EU4Health and Digital Europe).
In the last eight years, ELIXIR has submitted 10 grant applications with ELIXIR Hub as the project coordinator, with 100% of the applications being funded. The ELIXIR Hub has been included as a project beneficiary in a further 30 grant applications during that same period with an 80% funding rate.
As a result of new grants/projects (starting in February 2024) we are looking for two Project Managers to take the following roles:
- Project Manager to be directly responsible for the management of the ELIXIR STEERS project (among other grants), providing additional support to the Project Manager of the European Genomic Data Infrastructure (GDI) project, and supporting pre-award activities, including the preparation of competitive proposals for new ELIXIR-led projects. ELIXIR-STEERS (2024-2027, €4M) will be focused on the development and implementation of best practices for Life Science software and capacity-building actions across the ELIXIR Nodes;
- Project Manager to be directly responsible for the management of the EOSC-ENTRUST project (among other grants) and support pre-award activities, including the preparation of competitive proposals for strategic ELIXIR projects. EOSC-ENTRUST (2024-2027, €5M) will create a European network of trusted research environments for sensitive data and drive European interoperability by joint development of a common blueprint for federated data access and analysis.
As a Project Manager you will be member of ELIXIR PMO and will interact with all other ELIXIR teams as required: ELIXIR Operations, Technical Team, Human Genomics and Translational Data, External Relations and Legal, as well as with colleagues from ELIXIR's 23 national Nodes and project partners throughout Europe.
You will actively contribute to the further development of good project management practices and strong project management capabilities within the ELIXIR Hub and wider ELIXIR organisation.
Additionally you will contribute to pre-award activities including the coordination, development, and submission of further large, multidisciplinary, and multi-collaborative grant proposals to a wide range of funding agencies and organisations, including both public and private external entities.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Be aware of and contribute to the implementation of the ELIXIR long-term strategy, maintaining a fluid relationship with the ELIXIR PI, other ELIXIR teams involved in the grants, the rest of the PMO and the Head of PMO;
- Ensure project(s) are executed according to the applicable funding rules and processes and that project goals and impacts are attained with the support of other Project Management Office colleagues;
- Establish a professional working relationship with EC Project Officers, as well as with project participants;
- As required, work closely with the EMBL-EBI Grants Office in the process of submitting, negotiating and managing awarded grants;
- Ensure that project deadlines, targets and objectives are successfully achieved by providing support, proactive management and guidance to the project(s) Managing Board, Work Package Leaders, beneficiaries, and participants;
- Effective day-to-day management of project risks and opportunities including project performance indicators, issues log, change management log and risk register;
- Drive the planning and budget processes, assemble and analyse metrics and outcomes, ensure that all reporting requirements are meet and that allocated resources are fully utilised;
- Effectively manage changes in the large consortium, including in terms of project partners, tasking and resources;
- Organise scheduling, organisation and delivery of physical and virtual meetings;
- Effectively and proactively communicate operational outcomes, risks, and ongoing processes to the ELIXIR PI and the Head of the PMO;
- Support the development of future grant proposals;
- Contribute to the management and delivery of other/additional ELIXIR Hub projects and work-packages;
- Represent ELIXIR, as appropriate, in interactions with internal and external stakeholders such as the European Commission, IHI and projects consortium members.
- While not mandatory, the ideal candidates will have a University degree in life-science, computer science, engineering or another quantitative discipline with experience of working in a high-paced professional/academic research environment;
- Project management experience, specifically of EC/IHI grants in an international research environment is preferable, with proven ability to effectively interact with multiple stakeholders to deliver results;
- Experience and understanding of research infrastructure environments is a strong asset;
- Experience in supporting and preparing grant applications and multi-party collaborations would be advantageous;
- A high level of literacy is required with documented ability to effectively communicate with excellent verbal and written English;
- Working knowledge to a professional level of additional European languages is a strong asset for the role;
- Solid knowledge of Google Suite (Shared Drives, Sheets, Docs, Slides) and MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) is required.
You might also have
- Experience in project management at all phases of EC (H2020/Horizon Europe/Digital Europe) or IMI/IHI grants;
- Experience in Project Management Team coordination (PI, Participants, Project Coordinators, Project Administrator, Communication, Event Organisation);
- Active certification in Project Management e.g. PMP, PM2.
Why join us
Do something meaningful:
ELIXIR unites Europe's leading life science organisations in managing and safeguarding the increasing volume of data being generated by publicly funded research. It coordinates, integrates and sustains bioinformatics resources across its member states and enables users in academia and industry to access services that are vital for their research.
The ELIXIR Hub has a strong organisational culture which is defined by our core values. To ensure a good fit with our team, we look to recruit candidates who share our five values:
- We work to benefit everyone;
- We are trusted;
- We work with a spirit of openness;
- We strive for excellence;
- We work in an environment of respect.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances;
- Flexible working arrangements;
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover);
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays;
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required);
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely);
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances;
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3 year project limited contract;
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants;
- Diversity and inclusion: At ELIXIR, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities;
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, near Cambridge, UK. You will be required to relocate if you are based overseas and you will receive a generous relocation package to support you;
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date: 18th October 2023.
Don't forget to mention EuroBrussels when applying.