Communications and Advocacy Trainee
EFIC - European Pain Federation
The European Pain Federation is a non-profit medical society, focusing on pain medicine. The Federation is composed of 37 chapters across Europe, with an Executive Office based in Brussels, Belgium. The Federation aims to improve pain medicine through activities in the fields of education, research, and advocacy. Projects include a biennial scientific congress, schools and examinations for medical professionals, a scientific journal, research projects and awareness raising activities.
The Executive Office coordinates or implements most of these projects, and collectively the team carry out the management of the association, in terms of:
- Governance e.g., Executive Board and Council meeting organisation;
- Volunteer management;
- Organising events and coordinating with external event organisers;
- Administrative management:
The Federation is offering a 6-month traineeship focusing on communications and advocacy. The trainee would also be expected to support on other aspects of association management, such as events organisation and administrative support.
The traineeship will be based in Brussels, at the Federation's Executive Office in Ixelles, Brussels, Belgium. The trainee will be provided with a 6-month learning opportunity, working with the Federation's team to develop experience and skills in communications for a non-profit organisation.
EFIC traineeships have been approved by the Belgian labour authorities and are remunerated accordingly.
The traineeship would be ideal for anyone who wishes to work in any of the following fields:
- EU affairs;
- Events and association management roles;
- Non-profit and charitable sector;
- Medical societies.
We aim to provide a traineeship which offers a true learning and development opportunity in the aforementioned areas of focus. We will set learning objectives with the trainee with evaluation taking place at the half-way (3 month) mark and at the end of the traineeship.
Communications and marketing
- Assistance in the Federation's communications activities:
- Drafting articles and press releases;
- Social media account use;
- Developing online and offline promotional materials;
- Update of website (WordPress);
- Use of newsletter tools (Mailchimp);
- Digital marketing and search engine optimisation actions;
- Building the Federation's community and promotional database (CRM).
- Monitoring developments in the health policy sector relevant to pain;
- Attendance of and reporting on selected EU health policy events in Brussels;
- Monitoring developments in the pain medicine industry sector.
- Assistance in the Federation's advocacy activities:
- Following policy developments and understanding the legislative process;
- Preparing for and supporting advocacy meetings;
- Organising public events with a political audience.
Association management and administration
- Assistance with the organisation of Executive Board and Council meetings;
- Update and maintenance of databases and other information tools and templates on:
- The Federation's chapters;
- Partner associations;
- EFIC promotional database.
- Assistance with logistics, materials, gifts, stationery etc.;
- General support to the Executive Secretary.
- Is interested in or has studied one of the following fields; communication, marketing, events management;
- Excellent written and spoken English;
- Familiarity with communications and social media tools and activities;
- Flexibility, willingness to learn and adapt;
- Ability to work independently and within a team;
- Analytical and critical thinker;
- Legal right to work in the European Union.
- Familiarity with WordPress;
- Familiarity with MailChimp;
- Understanding of digital marketing;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office 365, OneDrive and SharePoint;
- Working knowledge of other European languages;
- Good knowledge of IT systems generally;
- Interest in health, health communication, public health related matters and NGOs advocating for health;
- Interest in analysis and research.
Desired learning outcomes
The following are to be discussed and agreed at the start of the traineeship, with evaluation taking place at the half-way (3 month) mark and at the end of the traineeship:
- Understanding and defining a communications plan and coordinating an organisation's communication channels;
- Gaining knowledge of how a volunteer-based organisation uses communications to achieve its objectives;
- Gaining experience in use of tools such as WordPress and Mailchimp on a professional basis;
- Understanding and defining an organisation's style guide and learning to write in the format and style appropriate to an organisation;
- Gaining experience in compiling professional quality contacts databases with high value information and recommendations;
- Gaining experience in writing brief intelligence reports to inform other team members on developments;
- Gaining knowledge in association management;
- Gaining familiarity with and understanding of a working budget and operations timeline for a biennial meeting of over 3,000 attendees and a budget of over 1 million euros;
- Gaining experience in establishing basic events management processes such as defining timelines and checklists.
CV and motivation letter are to be send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for applications: 15 December 2023. Start date: 8 January 2024.
Don't forget to mention EuroBrussels when applying.