Science Officer - Inclusive Science Cluster
ESF - European Science Foundation
The ESF is a non-profit organisation dedicated to the support science excellence through partnerships with European research organisations. We operate in the EU and wider European environment and collaborate with major scientific stakeholders. In the framework of our development, we invite applications for a Science Officer to support our Inclusive Science cluster.
The mission of this position is to ensure the completion of ESF commitments, coordinate ESF’s scientific activities and contribute to the development of new projects.
The position will report to the Senior Science Officer leading the Inclusive Science cluster of the organisation.
This position will involve:
- Ensuring technical/scientific and administrative management of EU-funded projects and/or project activities within the project portfolio of the Inclusive Science cluster of the organisation;
- Implementing ESF’s processes and activities;
- Contributing to the development of new projects/programmes in close collaboration with senior staff;
- Taking responsibility for the management and achievement/meeting of budgets for EU funded projects/specific activities in compliance with ESF financial rules and delegated financial authority and providing information necessary to Administration and Finance for the regular production of financial reports;
- Keeping up-to-date with relevant scientific and research policy developments.
The Science Officer should demonstrate the following competencies:
Specific technical competencies:
- M.Sc., but preferably Ph.D, with at least 5 years experience in research management;
- Demonstrable experience in EC-funded projects in the context of EU-funded H2020 and HE programs;
- Demonstrable experience with applied research ethics;
- In depth knowledge of the Responsible Research and Innovation and the Open Science principles;
- Insights into the European R&I landscape, European funding programmes and the ERA policy agenda;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with a proven ability to prioritize tasks;
- Good staff management skills in an international collaborative environment;
- Excellent communication, presentation and English language skills, both written and verbal; knowledge of other languages are assets;
- Good working knowledge of MS Office.
Specific personal competencies:
- Proven organisational skills and capacity to deliver allocated tasks and respond in a timely manner to deadlines;
- Assertive with ability to influence decision-making;
- Ability to create links and promote networking;
- Excellent communication skills across cultural and scientific boundaries, showing discretion, diplomacy and tolerance;
- Excellent presentation skills;
- Ability to represent ESF in the scientific community;
- Action-orientated and responsible;
- Creative, willing to take initiative, and continuously improvement-minded;
- Ability to work independently within the context of objectives set by the Head of Cluster;
- Transparency in working and a team-orientated work ethic;
- Positive and constructive attitude.
- The position is expected to be full-time (100% FTE) and will start as soon as possible;
- The contract is offered for a duration of 18 months;
- The person selected for the position will be working at the ESF premises in Strasbourg.
Please send your application (cover letter + CV in English) by 8 December 2023 to email@example.com quoting the following reference SOETH23. Interviews will be held online and in person during December.
The ESF will not discriminate, nor allow its staff to discriminate, against any member of staff or applicant for employment or ex-employee on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, age, ethnic, national, cultural or social origin, skin colour, physical appearance, religion or believes, marital or parental status, mental or physical disability, political opinion, social or economic situation, or health status.
Don't forget to mention EuroBrussels when applying.