Policy Adviser Electricity Market Design
VITO/EnergyVille’s ‘Energy Markets’ team is specialized in the electricity and multi-carrier market design, modelling and regulation. The team’s expertise covers a broad range of topics: from conceptual design of electricity and reserve markets to modelling of different electricity markets and systems (including networks and market participant’s behaviour) and regulation. Specific applications are the integration of flexibility from the distribution system, tariff design, TSO-DSO-customer coordination, market-based sector integration, decentralized market forms such as peer-to-peer or energy communities, and innovative flexibility service and product design. The ‘Energy Markets’ team applies this knowledge in a wide range of projects: from longer-term fundamental research projects to short-term knowledge-intensive consultancy projects executed directly for our customers, e.g. regulators, governments, and regulated stakeholders such as system operators.
Your tasks and responsibilities:
- You are involved in several projects as a policy expert team member. You are able to lead a task or a project within your area of expertise, or you are willing to grow to take up the task/project leader role;
- You formulate policy and strategy advice to the stakeholders including regulators, policymakers, system operators and industry based on the project research outcomes;
- You follow stakeholder workshops and other channels to stay on top of policy and regulation developments related to electricity markets topics as listed above (e.g., tarrif design, energy communities etc.);
- You communicate research and project results in high-quality reports, scientific papers and/or presentations;
- Depending on your expertise level, you support or lead acquisition of new projects and writing tenders/proposals;
- You actively extend your network to expand the team’s portfolio of knowledge-intensive consultancy projects within your area of expertise or to improve scientific excellence and visibility of the team.
- You hold a master degree in Engineering, Economics, Law, Political Sciences, or another relevant study;
- You have at least 3 years of experience within the energy sector (regulator, a dedicated consultancy company, utility, system operators, or a relevant research institute);
- You have factual knowledge of how today's electricity markets are designed and regulated in Belgium and the EU. You are familiar with the European green deal, winter package, network codes, ACER publications and other relevant material that guides policy and regulation;
- You have good communication and networking skills;
- You like to act on an international platform and connect easily with other stakeholders and researchers;
- You are fluent in either Dutch or French and in English.
Additionally, qualifying at the below-listed points (in order of importance) is considered to give you a competitive edge:
- You are familiar with policies and regulation of gas markets or district heating pricing;
- You have experience in project management;
- You are able to detect commercial opportunities to valorize your expertise on energy markets.
- The possibility to work activity based: your activities determine your work place. On average, you are expected at our office in Genk twice a week. The other days you can work from home or from other VITO locations (Mol, Antwerp-Berchem, Ghent, Ostend), depending on the needs of the activities and your team;
- An attractive salary package supplemented with extra-legal benefits such as allowances, insurances and a modular holiday package;
- A great deal of freedom and flexibility in your job that enables you to achieve an attractive work-life balance;
- Innovation is our core value, we give our employees the opportunity to educate themselves and keep up to date within their field of expertise, moreover, we expect this.
Don't forget to mention EuroBrussels when applying.