Controlling Specialist for Facility Management Operations
EMBL - European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Organisation data: Facility Management
Job Number: HD02439
Contract Type: Staff Member
Advertised Grade-Grading: 6 or 7; depending on experience and qualifications (monthly salary starting from 4.3k-4.9k EUR after tax + other paid benefits)
Contract Duration-Length of Time (years/months): 5 years (renewable up 9 years in total)
Closing date: 29 February 2024
About the team/job
The Facility Management of EMBL is responsible for the properties located at EMBL sites in Heidelberg, Hamburg, Grenoble, Hinxton, Rome and Barcelona amounting to a total building stock value of ca. 250 million €. Based in Heidelberg, Facility Management is responsible for the planning and building of all new construction projects including refurbishments and modifications both nationally and internationally, and works in close consultation with scientists from 80 different nations.
The EMBL Facility Management is a service-providing department consisting of a core group of 20 persons. Working in conjunction with ca. 60 members of staff from partner companies, the department handles a financial capacity of approximately 10 million € per year (not including new constructions).
We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced controlling specialist who is interested to work in a highly interesting field of work in an international and cooperative working environment, and who actively supports the Head of Facility Management in their numerous tasks. All finance methodologies and procedures should be mastered and aimed to working in a team of professionals of different disciplines to achieve the best results.
The position is of strategic importance to EMBL Facility Management: it monitors and adjusts the current year's budget and works the management-defined targets and savings into the given budgets for upcoming years to be in line with the EMBL indicative scheme (IS).
Main tasks are:
- Overall budget monitoring and financial optimisation for EMBL Facility Management, working closely with EMBL Finance teams;
- Working together with the Site Infrastructure Manager to show cost comparisons and savings opportunities to the Site Infrastructure Board;
- Working closely with all FM specialists (electrical, cooling, air conditioning, ventilation, plumbing) to jointly work out cost savings in order to be able to ensure maximum maintenance at low cost;
- Budget and cost monitoring of cleaning service budget, contact person for cleaning companies;
- Preparation of project reporting and presentations, e.g., to third-party funding bodies (BMBF), Council (FinCom) or internal boards (Project Steering Committee, Site Infrastructure Board);
- Participation in construction board meetings and planning meetings (Jour Fixe meetings);
- Participation in internal budget meetings with EMBL Head of Finance.
Project related tasks are:
- Financial project management: cost control in collaboration with architects/engineers, finance department and third parties;
- For foreseen new-building projects, pan-EMBL wide: costing, preparations, funding and scheduling/project management + information/coordination both internally and with external stakeholders will serve as a key-coordinator;
- In collaboration with FM architects, the postholder prepares cost estimates and proposals for new projects in the pipeline pan-EMBL wide to maintain and extend the value of the campus; the position therefore holds a key function between the COO, the Head of Admin & Ops, the Site Infrastructure Manager and contacts in other EMBL sites (e.g., Head of Campus Ops & Capital Projects at EBI, Admin Heads) to develop building infrastructure projects;
- Support for creating general planning competitions;
- Maintenance of an Access database for the financial monitoring of building projects;
- Introduction and roll out of a workplace management software pan-EMBL wide, liaising with project stakeholders and supplier concerning project details and deliverables, reporting to co-working project teams.
Other tasks include:
- Active participation in working groups related to energy cost savings, responsible for energy cost adjustments depending on price changes, inclusion of legal changes;
- The position is in charge of collecting energy data pan-EMBL wide and is responsible for monitoring and preparing the long-term forecast of energy consumption and costs;
- Review, implementation and compliance control of Facility Provision Agreement (FPA) between EMBL and GSK;
- Close work across all sites to determine energy savings;
- Close communication with EBI regarding pan-EMBL comparison of facility costs;
- Regular meetings with both Max-Planck Institutes, Stadt Heidelberg, RNV and Schmieder Klinik regarding energy management & environment/transport management and mobility;
- Responsible for EMBL FM intranet content (Wordpress);
- Participation in benchmarking in Facility Management of Helmholtz research institutes, annual data collection and participation in workshops with other German research institutes;
- Fleet Manager for e-bike rental platform, contact person for EMBL staff and leasing company;
- Training of FM staff in the use of EMBL Finance reporting tool (SAP BI/BO);
- FM contact person for "Green EMBL" initiative.
The ideal candidate should have a BA/MA in engineering, controlling, finance project management or relevant field and several years of proven work experience in existing projects. Sound knowledge in building law and legislation as well as ERP (SAP) applications is essential. The ability to interact on a highly professional level with external partners and providers as well as with scientists is essential for this position. Furthermore, the ability to work to tight deadlines is substantial. The successful candidate must have strong organizational and problem-solving skills as well as very good communication and negotiation skills. Fluency in both German and English is required.
You might also have:
Further skills and experience are advantageous:
- Knowledge of project management processes and tools (Smartsheet);
- Experience with the importance of a functioning construction process;
- Good networking abilities;
- Organization and maintenance of Alfresco;
- Experience in preparing and presenting PowerPoint;
- Profound knowledge of German Building Law (VOB/HOAI/AHO);
- Contract and Claim Management in multinational building projects.
Why join us
EMBL is curiosity-driven, community-oriented and international. As an inclusive, equal opportunity employer, we believe that diversity enables us to collaborate more effectively and be innovative in our approaches.
EMBL offers attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family-friendly working environment. Competitive salary and social security benefits, financial support for relocation, a relaxed culture, professional development, an on-site nursery, canteen and other staff facilities make EMBL a great place to work.
Enjoy lots of benefits
- Financial incentives: Income tax expemtion, monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, a pension scheme, life insurance, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances;
- Flexible working arrangements;
- Certified training and continued development of your professional and personal skills;
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family;
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year;
- Generous relocation package including installation grant (if applicable);
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave and monthly family and child allowances;
- Benefits for international newcomers: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
What else you need to know
We are Europe's research laboratory for the life sciences - an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1900 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Please note that appointments on fixed-term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review, up to a maximum of 9 years.
**Don't meet every single requirement? We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply nevertheless.
Don't forget to mention EuroBrussels when applying.