One Health Expert Advisor
Vétérinaires Sans Frontières
Context and role
VSF-B wishes to strengthen its already widely recognized One Health expertise by recruiting a "One Health Programme Advisor” (OHPA) to join the Operations department’s team.
The OHPA will undertake the following duties:
- Provide ongoing technical and strategic advice on VSF-B positioning in One Health (OH) programme implementation, including on aspects of multisectoral collaboration and coordination, as well as on zoonotic disease emergence/reemergence and spillover events;
- Review OH approaches and studies related to a.o. the prevention of zoonotic diseases and translate these to VSF-B strategies and OH interventions in the Global South;
- Prepare various strategic and technical written outputs, e.g. background papers, context analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, strategic documents, guidelines and policy recommendations;
- Provide technical and expert input into the development of funding proposals and project concept notes;
- Design, facilitate and manage a Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) framework for countries to share OH knowledge and ensure there is an evidence-based discussion and shared outcomes for stakeholder groups;
- Participate in, and/or facilitate meetings and working groups and create opportunities for collaboration and support within and among VSF countries, which might include tools, materials, resources, occasional webinars and other opportunities to meet with peers and experts;
- The OHPA will be part of the Technical & Methodological Expertise Cell of the Operations Department at VSF-B Brussels Headquarters, work in close collaboration with its Senior Expert (0.5 FTE), and report to the Director of Operations. The OHPA will work in close collaboration with the Institutional Partnership Coordinator, the Humanitarian Programme Coordinator, and the Regional Directors.
Key areas of Responsibilities
One Health Strategy Development and Program Development:
- Ensure that VSF-B delivers high quality, multi-sectoral One Health programming taking in account the development – humanitarian – peace NEXUS contexts (as appropriate);
- Develop a long-term VSF-B One Health Strategy and coordinate the implementation of this strategy through the Operations, maintain and timely adapt it, might circumstances so demand;
- Ensure that One Health objectives are well defined and broken down into the relevant programmes and projects;
- Design an adequate One Health programme funding strategy;
- Monitor technical and operational quality of One Health programmes, including conducting regular field visits to provide trainings to staff and partners, to provide feedback on quality benchmarks, to solicit inputs for design of new programmes, and to collect ideas for innovation.
Representation and Partnership:
- Participate in identifying, nurturing and strengthening strategic partnerships with government institutions, international and national civil society organizations, and research institutions in applying the One Health approach;
- Play a leading role in operationalizing strategic partnerships at national and international programme levels;
- Be the major interface with the Government of Belgium, European Commission, donors, partners and other key stakeholders on One Health issues;
- Identify and represent VSF-B in relevant One Health working groups and networks.
Communication and advocacy:
- Contribute to developing and delivering content related to the implementation of the One Health approach, in close collaboration with the Communication & Fundraising Department;
- Contribute to the fine tuning and implementation of VSF International’s advocacy strategy.
- Required education qualifications: advanced university degree (MSc level or equivalent) in ecosystem health, environmental health, public health or veterinary medicine is required, or a related field relevant to One Health.
Knowledge & experience:
- Experience of at least 4 years in one or more of the following subjects is required: i. emerging infectious diseases and zoonoses; ii. biodiversity, wildlife and ecosystems health; iii. health systems policy; iv. antimicrobial resistance; v. food systems and their interlinkages with health. Experience in social, economic and behavioural sciences relating to One Health, Planetary Health or Eco-health is desirable;
- Experience in development and humanitarian programmes in the Global South is desirable;
- Fluency in English and French. Working knowledge of Dutch is an asset.
- Ability to develop a strategy;
- Good management of priorities;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Ability to summarize;
- Comfortable with interpersonal relationships and good networking skills.
- Share the values (respect, transparency and sustainability), vision and mission of VSF-B;
- Respectful for other cultures and diversity;
- Person of trust and integrity;
- Open to missions in the countries of intervention.
Vétérinaires Sans Frontières Belgium is a learning organization. We are a close-knit and committed team that puts quality at the forefront of its mission, its work and its values.
The organization offers a stimulating and international work environment that leaves ample room for creativity and innovative ideas.
We offer a full-time (or 80%) open-ended contract with competitive compensation and additional benefits.
We strive to ensure a good work-life balance for our employees.
How to apply ?
Ready to join a professional team and an organization with a major social and human goal and that will allow you to flourish and grow? We’re waiting for you!
Please email your cover letter, CV and contact details of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 01/10/2023, indicating "OHPA" in the subject line.
This position is open to both female and male candidates. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in a practical exercise.
More information: www.vsf-belgium.org.
Don't forget to mention EuroBrussels when applying.