Conference and Events Manager
ESN - European Social Network
The European Social Network is seeking to appoint a talented and dynamic Conference and Events Manager to join our international team.
Responsible for the planning, development and implementation of the European Social Services Conference (ESSC), ESN’s annual flagship event, and other ESN events throughout the year.
An entrepreneurial leader with experience in generating income through the delivery of high-profile events, this role is an exciting opportunity to further develop a well-established international conference and events programme with a strong 25-year track record.
ESN is the European network for senior professionals in public social services, for over 130 national, regional, and local public services organisations from 35 European countries. Supported by the European Commission under the EaSI programme, ESN promotes the development of effective social policy and social care practice through the exchange of knowledge and expertise. ESN contributes to European policy-making in social, health and education policy to improve people’s life chances through quality public social services, including health, employment and housing. ESN organises both the European Social Services Conference now in its 26th year and the European Commission (EaSi) programme which also comprises smaller events, working groups etc.
You can read more about ESN at www.esn-eu.org and the European Social Services Conference at www.essc-eu.org.
The post will be based in Brussels from early 2018. The Secretariat is currently in Brighton, UK.
The Conference Manager is accountable for ESN events comprising the development and management of the European Social Services Conference, and organising other smaller events throughout the year.
- To develop an exciting annual conference with members of the ESN team and develop other events that are both informative and engaging, linking policy/membership/partnerships/wider audience;
- To develop a marketing strategy involving communications and outreach, web site design, member and partner engagement, as well as the development of a mobile app;
- To manage the conference and events budgets, oversee contract negotiations and ensure financial controls and reporting;
- To manage the organisational systems and processes, and streamline tasks accordingly working closely with members of the ESN team;
- To build a strong brand identity for the ESSC. This will entail ensuring that the themes are communicable/relevant to members and other stakeholders, that it connects with ESN’s work using all available online platforms and that it provides an in-depth engagement with the wider community;
- To commission and oversee the development of audio-visual design of the annual conference, including videos, promotional materials, printed booklets, website design and stage set;
- To commission and oversee the development of an event-related Mobile App and link to inter-activity of the event;
- To develop and promote the growth of corporate partnerships and exhibition space;
- To promote ESN as the leading knowledge exchange forum for public social services in Europe;
- To manage the conference team, including one full-time Conference Organiser, one intern and a team of volunteers at the conference;
- To promote good working relationships with ESN members and other stakeholders;
- To develop good relationships between ESN and European and other intergovernmental institutions, national and regional governments and other stakeholders.
We are looking for someone who has:
- Substantial experience in a comparable senior events post;
- A proven track record of delivery of high-level events at national or international level;
- Experience of delivering income-generating events at national or international level;
- Experience of sponsorship development and CSR, showing a proven ability to meet sponsorship revenue targets;
- Experience of identifying, securing and managing the participation of high profile speakers;
- Communications and digital marketing experience;
- Experience of managing a budget and financial management;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to liaise and communicate with colleagues at all levels and from different cultures;
- Excellent attention to detail while also keeping a strategic eye on the bigger picture;
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and under pressure;
- Knowledge and/or interest in social policy;
- Excellent written and oral English (ESN’s working language);
- Fluency in at least another European language is an advantage.
Circa £35,000/€38,000 depending on experience
Full-time permanent position
You should submit a personal statement and a CV in a single PDF file not longer than 3 pages to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants wishing to discuss the post may request a call with the ESN’s CEO, John Halloran, via the recruitment email address. The deadline for applications is Thursday 28th September with 1st round of interviews on 2nd of October via Skype, followed by a second round of face-to-face interviews on 11th October.
Equal Opportunities Statement It is the policy of the European Social Network (ESN) to treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or trade union membership status or any other protected characteristic.